From Sept 18, 1931 State Register
Our town was aroused at 3 o'clock Saturday morning by a fire that destroyed the residence of J. E. Shockley, located at Highway and Jewell street. Mr. Shockley, an employee of the Pennsylvania railroad was out on his run at the time. Mrs. Shockley and son, who were in the home had a very narrow escape as they were almost surrounded by flames and smoke when discover was made. the origin of the fire is supposed to have been caused by defected wires. The loss was heavy but with some insurance.