Saturday, July 23, 2011
Delmar Standpipe in 1921
The Standpipe (elevated Water Storage tank) was built in 1913. It was 12’ by 115’ and held 100,000 gallons of water. It was removed about the year 2000. To the left of it is the pump house that today is used as a public works office.
The system in 1923 had a 100,000 gallon storage tank (standpipe) that was 12’ by 115’, a 20’ by 40’ pump house, four wells, two Deming Triplex pumps, 44 fire hydrants and five miles of pipe. It was know as the Delmar Water Works. There were smaller water systems in Delmar prior to this one but they served very localized areas and not the entire town. The standpipe served the town from 1913 until about 2000. As with any water tower it was a landmark and reference point for the town. The water mains serves both sides of town. Each town at that time was approximately one half square mile in size.