Sunday, April 25, 2021
Delmar Lodge 201 is the third oldest lodge in Wicomico County. On December 27, 1899, a local group met in a building on Chestnut Street, Delmar, then occupied by a public school and it was decided that it would be good for the community to have a Masonic Lodge in the town. The new lodge was instituted early in 1900 with Harry D Renninger installed as the first Worshipful Master.
On July 2, 1901, a special communication of Delmar Lodge 201 was held for the purpose of laying the cornerstone for the new Masonic Temple which was constructed on a lot located on Railroad Ave. between State St and East St. In passing, it should be noted that the reason for the great height of the old Masonic Temple, now known as the Moose Hall, was so that the first floor could be used as an Opera House. The lodge met in this building until 1925, at which time it was evident that a' larger and more elaborate building was needed. The second and present Masonic Temple is located on State St. opposite the Methodist Church.
The Grand Lodge of Maryland has made two official visits here and the lodge has been fortunate in having two Past Masters serve as Grand Lodge Officers, namely J William Gordy as Grand Sword Bearer and Robert J. Banks Grand Inspector.
Hobart Webster of Hebron, Md. is presently Grand Inspector for Delmar Lodge and Robert W. Collins is the Present Worshipful Master. The lodge has one. distinction in the state. Mr. Albert B. Hearn was its Secretary for thirty-five years. He is the oldest in point of service of any secretary in the state.
Finally, Masonry has had an out standing role in the community history through the years.
Above from the Salisbury Times 4 July 1976
Saturday, April 17, 2021
Sewell Hanson Whayland (1886-1962) was the son of James Marion Whayland and Williamanna Willie Lavina Bounds. He was born in Wicomico County outside of Delmar. He had four brother; William, Paul, Mayhew and Lewis, and one sister, Violena (Lena). About 1904 he went to New Jersey where he attended the New Jersey College of Pharmacy. In 1907 he took a position as a druggist with J. G. Bragdon and Company in Middletown, Delaware. He would work there until 1911 when he returned to Delmar to own his Drugstore.
In 1911, on Easter Sunday, Dr Whayland married Daisey Elizabeth Culver (1882-1951). Daisey was 29 and Sewell was 25-years old.
In 1912 J. J. Culver remodeled a house at 107 East Jewell Street and the Whaylands moved in. Daisey and Sewell would eventually buy the house. John Jasper Culver was Daisey’s father and Salley Hearn was her mother. J. J. Culver worked on the railroad.
above 107 E Jewell
Dr Whayland’s brothers were active in Delmar having acquired the old hotel and having several businesses in it including the meat market and grocery store they were known for.
above 1931 ad in Salisbury Times.
Dr Whayland started his drugstore at a time when even small towns like Delmar would have several drugstores. If you were not happy with the local drugstore Sears, Roebuck and company also sold a selection of patent medicine in their catalog. Druggist had to be trusted not to talk about their customer prescriptions and purchases or they did not last long in a town. Dr Whayland was in business for forty years so you know he was trusted.
Drugstores were like little general stores they sold a lot of non-drug related goods ranging from cosmetics, tobacco, magazines, postcards to cheap watches and jewelry. Dr Whayland went heavy into selling radios of the day.
The medicine they sold was not just for humans but also included selections for farm animals. Generally the medicine they sold could be broken down into three types; generic nonproprietary remedies, compound preparations prescribed by a physician, and proprietary over-the-counter remedies often referred to as patent medicine. The first group would like paregoric and castor oil that were kept in bulk and dispensed in quantities needed. Interestingly there are no medicine bottles around with his name imprinted on the bottle. Perhaps he used plain bottles with a label attached to them. The second group consisted of more complicated prescriptions which may contain narcotics. They were usually prepared based on formulary books, frequently made by the druggist.
The last class was the pre-packaged patent medicines.
In the time Dr Whayland operated his drugstore he frequently made his own pills. The druggist would grind the ingredients down in his mortar and wet it with a little liquid to make a paste, roll it into a long tube, place the tube on a pill tile (has marks indicating thickness of pills) and cut the tube into pills.
a pill tile and knife
The connection of Drugstores having a soda fountain came about when Druggist while trying to cover the bitter taste of medicine they made would make simple syrups using fruit juices and add to the medicine. When the Liquid Carbonic Company came out with their equipment to make carbonated water the drugstores starting installing soda fountains. The Carbonated water covered the taste of the medicine.
After 40 years he would sell his drugstore in 1951 to C. Burns Marvil. His wife would pass away that year.
Dr Whayland acquired Real Estate. One of the larger pieces of land he brought was Whayland’s Addition that ran between 9th and 10th street. Today you can see his name still mentioned on public notices of real estate being sold or some legal action taking place.
Friday, April 16, 2021
In April of the 1950s and 1960s it was almost mandatory that on the Sunday family drive you drove down Dogwood Drive in Salisbury, Maryland. Each property owner had from two to five dogwood trees planted and in bloom. It was a great display. Today that is long gone - it is still a nice neighborhood but there are only a few Dogwoods left.
Monday, April 12, 2021
Saturday, April 10, 2021
WSAL was the second radio station Salisbury had. The first was WSMD which went out of business in the early 1930s. It was followed by WSAL that operated on 1200 KC with 250 watts of power.
It was on WSAL in 1939 that Delmar Mayor L. T. Lockerman gave his history of Delmar on the segment called “Know Your Town”. It was transcribed to the Bi-State Weekly February 10, 1939 edition and is used to this day as a reference on Delmar. Joe Long at one time emailed me saying his self and other baseball players would stop by the station and talk on air about the games they played. Willis Conover worked at WSAL in 1939 as a part-time radio announcer. He was attending the State Teacher's College at Salisbury, Md at the time. Willis Conover was one of the most famous American Jazz announcers in the world but was virtually unknown in America. He did a Jazz show on Voice of America Radio for forty years, and was known to millions of people around the world but since Voice of America was forbidden to broadcast in the U.S., it was only the rest of the world who knew him. WSAL, Salisbury, Md. Broadcast License of licensee belonging to Frank M. Sterns was revoked, effective March 31, 1940.
WSAL had a number of live entertainers on their station, some paid, some were not. Kid Smith was a regular in the 1938 to 1940 time period. Dressed as a hobo clown he, with his two daughters, were billed as "Kid Smith and the Smith Sisters." The below advertisement is of them
Yes it was the type of act that makes today’s young adults cringe with the fear that their great grandfathers thought this type of act was funny.
Kid Smith was Walter Barney Smith (1897-1977). The “Kid” part of his name came from when he use to box as a career as a lightweight but gave it up in 1924. He was married in 1917 to Bertie Elmira Harris (1896-1976) and they had three daughters; Thelma Vada Smith (1918-1992), Dorothy Gay Smith (1920-1974), and Ola Lorene Smith (1927-2014).
above Walter Smith
He and his family were in several different musical groups that went by various names. They played opening acts at movie theaters before the talking picture show came on.
above March 1939 ad
They played a benefits and shows. They worked medicine shows, tent shows, car lot openings etc. They lived in Virginia and mostly they played in the Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, and North Carolina area.
above 1939 article from Star Democrat - Easton Md.
According to Walter Smith in 1939 he had a seven-year old Patsy Cline in the act.
In the 1940s his daughters started marrying and doing the act less often. In 1947 he remarried. He married Tona Lee who was brought up in tents shows and who had a contortionist act.
In 1977 Kid Smith died and is buried in Georgia.
There is a good article on Walter Smith in the JEMF Quarterly Spring 1973 publication. It came be found on internet archives. The John Edward Memorial Foundation (JEMF) promoted the study of twentieth-century American Folk music.
Monday, April 5, 2021
South of Delmar on Old Rt13 before you get to Foskey Lane are five houses that sit apart from the other houses. Well, four older homes and one of more recent age and they look like they may have formed a hamlet of their own and maybe had a name like Hearnsville or something.
The homes sit on a triangle of land and the homes appear to have been built when George and Edith Gordy had the land in 1910. George and Edith Gordy were foreclosed on and Richard Herman Hodgson, a real estate person in Salisbury, acquired the land.
Richard H Hodgson had a survey done of the land in 1927.
In 1935 he sold the land to William H Hearn and his wife Alice A Taylor Hearn. The land has continued to stay in the hands of the Hearn family until the last 15 years when some of the lots were sold outside of the family.
Two of the lots were owned by William Howard Hearn, a son of William H Hearn. You may remember “Mr Bill” was the stationary engineer and custodian at Delmar Elementary School for over 30 years – retiring in 1977
The land was resurvey again in 2006
Saturday, April 3, 2021
Out at 9095 Bi-State Blvd is the Union Hall for the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 1307. The building is on 5 acres of land and was built about 1982. The land was sold multiple times over the years before being sold to Local 1307. It originally was a larger property owned by the Leonard family (Of Leonard Mill Pond).
Thursday, April 1, 2021
America sells 678,443 horses to Europe
The United States shipped 678,443 horses and mules, valued at $131,914,000 to Europe for the allied armies in the last year and a half, according to export figures assembled today in the bureau of foreign and domestic commerce. During the whole of 1913, only a few more than 30,000 horses and mules went to Europe from the United States, but three months after hostilities began they were going at the rate of 30,000 a month. The steady flow reached its height last October, when 60,000 were shipped.
Bismark Daily Tribune Mar 18 1916