Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Dr. Robert Ellegood’s Drug Store

 Dr. Robert Ellegood (1860-1938) was a practitioner and druggist in Delmar. He had graduated from the Jefferson school of medicine in Philadelphia and was from a family of Doctors. His father, Dr. Robert G. Ellegood, practiced in Concord. Dr. Ellegood, with His wife (Ida) and sons (Joshua and George), lived in what is today the Short’s Funeral Home.

1906 ad for Dr Ellegood Drug Store

 About 1891, Dr. Ellegood opened a drug store alongside his home. He would own the Drugstore until 1924, when he sold it to Dr. Manain W. Tingle.  

The pre-1865 building used by Dr. Ellegood as a drug store.  Today it is the caskey showroom for Short's Funeral Home. 

Sanborn Fire Insurance map showing Funeral home at top and drug store to south of it. About 1911.

About 1941, Dr. Tingle moved his drug store from the Ellegood building to a store alongside the Ellegood building. 

Above Part of 1925 Aerial Photo of Delmar by the Dallin Aerial Survey Company Hagley Museum ID # 1970200-00939. The photo shows Grove street.

This photo came from the Delaware Archives and was recently shared by the Delmar Public Library on their Facebook page. The store looks like a one-story building until you look at the 1925 aerial photo and see the Hastings building has an awning over the sidewalk. The store's window has the usual product advertising Kodak and Ex-Lax, but it also has lettering advertising “Free Radio Everyday.” 

When Dr. Tingle moved the business in 1943, Mrs. Mazie Elizabeth Collins Whaley opened a restaurant in the old store. 

Shortly after moving the business to the south side of Grove Street, Dr. Tingle died at age 54. Tingle would pass away in 1943, and his wife ran the drug store with Dr. Truitt as the prescription druggist. Tingle’s Drugstore would exist until 1946 when Leo B. Hearn would purchase it and run the business as Tingle’s Drug store.   

The long building (The Hastings Building) ran from Pennsylvania Ave to the Funeral home was later moved and made into apartment buildings that still exist today. 

 By the time (1946) that Leo B Hearn purchased the business, the drug store shared that end of the block with two other companies; the American Store and Dashiells Hardware. 

Leo Hearn was an accomplished violinist and played at many weddings in Delmar. He retired in 1969. 

The “Dr. Robert Ellegood Druggist” pharmaceutical bottles are highly collectible items for Delmar collectors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment